Amps

Re: [Amps] 1N Diodes

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] 1N Diodes
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2021 01:02:27 -0700
On 7/1/2021 3:39 PM, Mark - N5OT wrote:
Just use the right diode to begin with..and that's not the 1N400X series.

Not sure how to interpret your comment.  It comes with a 1N4001 from the factory.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the mfr didn't cheap out. TenTec did with many of the generic Motorola parts in the keying logic circuit in the 425 by using the lowest voltage or current rated parts in the family. The result was that anything going wrong would pop a lot of them.

And so did the mfr of the security systems I serviced in the '70s that took hits from lightning on small signal wiring connected to simple interfaces.

One of the dumbest guidelines in electronics is "follow the manufacturer's directions." Many manufacturers are clueless about how their equipment should properly and safely be used in the field. Almost every manual for ham gear shows a drawing connecting the chassis screw labeled "ground" to the earth, with not a single word about bonding. Yes, it must go to the earth, but more important, everything in the shack must be bonded together, that common point must go a bond of all other earth electrodes, and certainly to the antenna entry panel.

I'm a contributor to N0AX's fine ARRL book on the topic, and we just finished work on the second edition this spring. Here are slides for a talk I've done at Visalia and to several ham clubs. Don't let the title in the link fool you.

http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf

73, Jim K9YC