Amps

Re: [Amps] Harbach SB-220 Soft Start Relay Part # or, replacement

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Harbach SB-220 Soft Start Relay Part # or, replacement
From: Adrian <vk4tux@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2024 07:46:54 +1000

From: David Gow<6146guy@gmail.com>

Subject: Re: [Amps] Harbach SB-220 Soft Start Relay Part # or
        replacement

Pull it all out, as has been well documented there is no need for a soft
start mod for th SB-220, it is built into the transformer. You are only
protecting the switch and an outlet strip will do that.

I thoroughly agree, I removed from mine soon after receiving. I also connected
the
Filament transformer primaries directly together bypassing the shared HV
primary ssb/cw switching to protect
against  switch fault or HV primary failure also taking out the filament
transformer primary, by overloading
one side in such a fault.

It seems the soft start idea was more that most did not know the real reason
for the 3-500z grid/filament shorts sometimes discovered,
and put it down to filament start current, which when tested is only 60% of
Eimac max recommendation.

73

vk4tux