Amps

[AMPS] vacuum caps

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] vacuum caps
From: Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 08:42:25 +0100
Steve Thompson wrote:
>I have a couple of Western Electric ones (fixed vlaue), type 8047 - 50pF
>7.5kV 10A and 50pF 5kV 5A.
>
>The 7.5kV one goes to 15kV for 1uA leakage, the other must be gassy and
>arcs at 1.5-2kV. Can it be mended?

No. If the leak is in one of the glass/metal seals - as seems likely -
then that's the end. Because of the way the metal and glass have to be
processed and then joined, those seals can only be made completely from
scratch, not reworked.

(BTW, Steve, that switchmode supply is now running. Relevance to the
list - I owe it all to the Joseph Lucas School of Hot-Wiring   ;-)

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek