Amps

Re: [Amps] Another quality amplifier from Europe

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Another quality amplifier from Europe
From: Larry Dighera <LDighera@att.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 06:35:38 -0700
On Sun, 21 May 2017 05:01:55 +0000 (UTC), Wojciech Tomczyk via Amps
<amps@contesting.com> wrote:

>Quite impressive...
>Tom, SP7WT
>http://www.hilberling.de/en/en_pro/pro_hpa8000b.htm

My 2¢:

http://www.hilberling.de/en/en_pdf/hpa8k_ps_v1.10_2017-04-07_en.pdf
The color LCD front panel catches the eye.  And support for two exciters and
four antennas is useful, but I'm unconvinced they make a 1KW amplifier worth
?5,980.? (incl. 19% VAT) (when compared to the 1500W+ Alpha 78A at half the
price).  Instant-on is distinctly more preferable to a three minute warm up,
and the auto-tuner is a plus, but the Alpha is supported by most rig-control
software (DXLab, TRX-Manager, ...), and with the addition of the Alpha
Digital Antenna Selector, automatic antenna selection can be extended way
beyond four. The HPA-8000B is about half the weight of the 87A, but if the
amp should require service, US operators would have to repair it them
selves, or endure round-trip shipping costs to Europe, so I would expect
that to be comparable with the Alpha repaired domestically.