Antennaware

Re: [Antennaware] dBi conversion to Antenna Factor

To: "Andy Ikin" <andy@wellbrook.uk.com>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] dBi conversion to Antenna Factor
From: "Guy Olinger, K2AV" <olinger@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:44:48 -0500
Hi Andy,

dBi is relative to an "isotropic" antenna in free space.

If you place the isotropic antenna in free space relative to an unvarying
transmitted signal and get 50uv/50ohms of received signal at the antenna feed
with a lossless 50 ohm match, and then place the K9AY loop here on earth at
the same distance to a transmitting source whose effective radiated power in
the direction of the K9AY is the same as the free space transmitting antenna
in the direction of the isotropic, with a lossless 50 ohm matching device on
the K9AY, AND with the K9AY pattern maximum intercepting the incoming signal,
EZNEC is specifying that the signal will be 26dB below that of the 50uv/50ohms
or 2.5uv/50ohms

Noting that you probably do not have the services of the space shuttle to
complete part one of the comparison, the dbi is usually used to compare one
"real" antenna with another apart from the "literal" comparison with the
unreal isotropic.

That is to say if a dipole has a gain of 7dbi at the incoming signal angle and
azimuth, and the K9AY is -26dbi at the same incoming angle and azimuth at the
same point, whatever was measured on the dipole matched to 50 ohms would be
33db above the K9AY matched to 50 ohms, plus/minus any correction for feedline
loss, etc,

Note that most special HF "receiving" antennas are particularly lossy compared
to "decent" transmitting antennas, because they are either small compared to
wavelength, or their design deliberately makes use of a lossy device for
rejection of unwanted signals, as in beverages which make use of a close
ground and a termination resistor to construct their performance.

Given that dbi is an "ideal" relative figure independent of actual transmitted
level, and dBm is the harsh reality of a received signal, there is no "simple
conversion".  The conversion is the relationship between concept and
accomplishment, and all that stands between the two, including how much power
the transmitter is running.

73, Guy.