Antennaware

[antennaware] Contest station!

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [antennaware] Contest station!
From: larsmark@swipnet.se (Mikael Larsmark (SM3WMV // SM3W))
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 21:58:19 +0100
Hello!

I'm building a little contest station in northern Sweden.
I have a QTH located by the water and a hilltop behind me that is
like 70m high. I got one coax going up there to a 1/4 vertical for
40m and I'm planning to put up some towers there. I got a clear
shot of water from 350 degrees to 240 over asia but a little
mountain against NA but NA is still 59 on the 1/4 for 40m when I
use it on 15m.

I have about 200m to the hilltop and the coax is a RG17. It's pretty
long distance on 28 MHz but I guess I "earn" that gain loss by
putting up the tower at that location.

The stuff I'm planning is putting up one 24m high tower and to
stack two KT34XA's @26/16m (lowest on a sidemount) and
maybee add a third antenna at ??m fixed at EU. I'm not quite sure
about the lowest antenna, maybee I'll put that on a 2nd tower.

I also have two monobanders lying on the ground, it's one 5el for 10
and another one for 15m. I'm not quite sure what I will do of them,
maybe put them fixed at JA or something.

I wanna be able to beam in diffrent directions at the same time. It's
always open against Europe here and during the summer it's very
often open against NA and JA at the same time. That's the reasons
why I want tribanders. It's much cheaper to buy two tribanders than
3 pair of monobanders. I get a bit more gain by having
monobanders but It's to expensive with the towers, rotators etc.

I have no experience about building stations. I'm 18 years old so I
don't have very much money either but I worked the whole summer
to afford buy some of the stuff. The things I have now is this:
30m of tower (30x30x30cm).
600m rotator cables.
200m RG17 coax + lots of RG58 and 213.
6el Mosley Tribander.
5el mono for 10m.
5el mono for 15m.
16m rotatable tower (placed at the bottom of the hill, good against
all directions except West).
Yeasu G1000SDX rotator.
Emator 1103MXX rotator.

I would really like to have some opinions about my project. What
low band antennas should I go for? Should I put the antennas in
another combinations etc.?

73 // Mike (SM3WMV // SM3W)
#6 WWYC (World Wide Young Contesters)
Visit "http://home.swipnet.se/contest/wwyc/"; for more info

Keep up the hamspirit and enjoy ham radio contesting!

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/antennaware
Submissions:              antennaware@contesting.com