Antennaware

Re: [Antennaware] Guying a 40' Fiberglass Mast...Alone

To: "Alain Michel" <opalockamishabob@yahoo.com>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Guying a 40' Fiberglass Mast...Alone
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 08:34:04 -0500
Alan,

I made some DXpedition verticals several years ago, and found two things
most useful:

1. Pre-set the guy ropes as close as possible to final length. You can
calculate using geometry or graph paper, or you can just lay the mast on the
ground and do it full size (allow for the ground slope, of course). Then you
can attach 3 of the four guy points and pull up the mast in the direction of
the 4th.

2. Rope adjusters -- at the bottom of each guy rope, use adjusting blocks.
These are commonly used for tents or other camping lash-ups. Naturally, you
find them in the camping section of a sporting goods store or at a hardware
store with a good sporting good section.

73, Gary
K9AY