Antennaware

Re: [Antennaware] Butternut radials

To: antennaware@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Butternut radials
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 05:34:08 -0400
Hi,

An update on the Butternut. I wasn't able to get it up on the roof.
The legs of the tripod are rusted and it's unsafe and I'm going to
have to remove it.

To experiment with the HF9V I mounted it on top of a pole in the back
yard where the base is 8´ off the ground. I do want to get it up
higher in the air so I will use interlocking aluminum poles to do so
(one end slides into the next tube & so on).

The pole it´s on now is in cement and was a pole for a bird house.
I´ve figured a reliable way to use the existing pole as a base and by
loosely tying a rope around the aluminum pole and the cemented one, I
can lift it enough to keep inserting pole after pole and it won´t
fall over.

I have some Dacron rope & will use that to guy it and will make the
80 meter radials extra strong and use them for guying as well.
Seems like the bands have been very quiet the last few days so I´m
not sure how well the antenna going to do for me but it should be
fine. I made six of the multi band radials from 300 ohm ribbon line
seen here http://www.bencher.com/pdfs/00408IZV.pdf I will make four
80 meter radials as well. I forgot there is a required 75 ohm
matching stub and I have to order the RG-11 today. Once I get that in
I will raise the antenna. I´ll let you know how it´s doing.

Thanks for the on & off list replies, I appreciate it.
73,
Gary