Antennaware

Re: [Antennaware] 3 element sideways vees - coax lengths?

To: K1to@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] 3 element sideways vees - coax lengths?
From: Terry Conboy <n6ry@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 11:06:04 -0800
The demo version of EZNEC, with its limit of 20 segments, won't be too
accurate for this array.  At a minimum, you should use 10 segments per
half-wavelength, so a 3-element array needs 30 segments just for the
three vee elements, and preferably more for best accuracy.  In addition,
since the tower (top loaded by HF yagis) is between the vee elements, it
really needs to be included in the model.  The presence of the tower
MIGHT be a non-issue, but it's really hard to tell without modeling it.

Of course, one of the main benefits of modeling is to allow you to
adjust things like the length of the transmission lines to tweak the
array for your particular installation.  What was optimum for the
designs that you mention may not be the best at your site (tower a
little too short, etc.).

Whether or not floating the vees will attract more lightning, there's no
question that if the elements charge to a high enough voltage, you can
get noisy, if not damaging, arcing at inconvenient locations.  Perhaps
using 100k ohm resistors from both conductors of the element feedlines
to ground is a workable approach, since you need to avoid shorting the
line inputs.  Also, if the shields of the feedlines are DC grounded for
lightning, you may need to choke them for RF to avoid pattern
distortion, if the design does not already do so.  For completeness, the
shields of the feedlines (with or without chokes) should be included in
the model as a "physical" conductor (with near unity velocity factor),
since the transmission line models in EZNEC are "virtual" or
mathematical models of the transmission line differential-mode behavior
only.

73, Terry N6RY