Antennaware

Re: [Antennaware] K9AY Terminated RxLoop wire length

To: "OZ1AXG Flemming" <oz1axg@dxmail.dk>, <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] K9AY Terminated RxLoop wire length
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:59:38 -0500
Flam,

The signal capture (voltage or current) of a small loop is proportional to
the area. Thus, double area is 6 dB. My larger loops had almost 1.25x the
area of the "original" loop, so I expected nearly 2 dB more signal.

With my larger loops, the wires were simply extended horizontally, making
the loop wider, but not higher. The exact shape of the loop is not critical,
although it affects the vertical angle of the null. Wider loops have lower
null angle, taller loops raise the angle of the null. However, at the
extremes of either shape, the area enclosed by the loop is smaller for the
same length of wire; a diamond or square shape is more efficient (circle
would be best!)

73, Gary
K9AY
_________

----------

>> Flam,
>>
>> In 2007, I experimented with larger loops -- same height as the original
>> (about 8 meters), but almost 2 meters more on each side. In theory, the
>> signal increase should have been 2 dB, which is hard to measure, but I am
>> certain that these loops were more sensitive. The improvement was easy to
>> hear in the AM broadcast band.
>>
>> Modeling shows that the F/B will be a little less on 80M, but there are
>> other variables such as ground that also affect this, so it may remain
>> useful.
>>
>> It is easy to try the larger loops since you are not changing the height.
>> Go
>> ahead and see how much it can help!
>>
>> 73, Gary
>> K9AY
>>

>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I put together a Terminated half loop, and it is working very well. Its
>>> simple construction with only one loop (east/west) and a home made
>>> control
>>> box (no pre-amp, but working on putting one together). Especially the
>>> F/B