Antennaware

Re: [Antennaware] Vertical Dipoles

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>, "David Gould" <dave@g3ueg.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Vertical Dipoles
From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2009 14:00:25 -0600
Dave,

One of my past projects was a no-radial multi-band vertical with a feed
similar to what you propose. I found two alternatives for isolating the
feedline. The first was a 1.77:1 transmission line transformer that improved
the match and also served as a "current balun" or line isolator. The second
method was simply buried coax with the shield grounded immediately below the
antenna.

I should note that the bottom of the tubing was not the high voltage
point -- this was a "bent" vertical dipole with a portion of the bottom
element extending horizontally at about 4 ft. height. The coax exited the
tubing roughly 2/3 the distance from feedpoint to tip. With the latter of
the two isolating methods noted above, the distance from ground to feedpoint
was very close to 1/4-wavelength on 20M, providing some "natural"
decoupling. (The design of the antenna was such that feedline isolation was
of greatest importance on 20M.)

Hope this helps!

73 & HNY,
Gary, K9AY