Antennaware

[antennaware] question on ground system for good ground

To: <antennaware@contesting.com>
Subject: [antennaware] question on ground system for good ground
From: eric@k3na.org (Eric Scace K3NA)
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:25:11 -0400
Hello Mauri --

   Your message brings up two points:

1.  Using antennas at various heights to measure ground conditions at the
installation site will help to more accurately model the
impedances of antennas installed at that location.

2.  Using antennas at various heights to measure ground conditions at the
installation site may be somewhat less helpful in modeling
radiation patterns, especially if ground conditions vary significantly within
the beam-forming zone around the antenna.  For low
radiation angles or sloping terrain, the beam-forming zone can be vary large
(kilometers).

   Software that I've seen doesn't contain any mechanism for entering variable
ground characteristics.  And only certain software
(TA for yagis) can deal with non-flat terrain.  The inability to characterize
the shape of the terrain around the site probably
introduces a much larger error in pattern determination than local variation in
ground conditions for a majority of locations.

   Models have made great progress... but work remains to be done!

-- Eric K3NA