Antennaware

Re: [Antennaware] Installing a Hy-Gain AV-18HT vertical - several questi

To: Shon Edwards <sre.1966@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Antennaware] Installing a Hy-Gain AV-18HT vertical - several questions, especially about radials
From: DAVID CUTHBERT <telegrapher9@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:47:14 -0700
Shon,

The radials can be installed on the ground to several inches under the
ground. I would run 30 or more radials 50' or longer. That is three 500'
rolls of THHN wire. In the directions where you don't have this length don't
bother to bend the longer radials, simply install shorter radials. Yes #14
or #12 standed THHN house wire is great. Easy to work with and it will last
forever being copper. One or two 8' ground rods at the antenna base will
provide a measure of lightning protection. The radials also help with this.
Don't worry too much about the ground system. The difference between a dozen
25' radials and sixty 50' radials will be roughly 3 dB.

If you are interested - and it would be good data to distribute - you can
measure the ground resistance as you install radials. Install 4 radials.
Measure the antenna input impedance at resonance on 80 meters. Now 8
radials. 16 radials. And so on the radiation resistance of the 53' vertical
on 3.5 MHz is 20 ohms. Measure the resistive part of the input impedance and
subtract 20 ohms. That is the effective ground loss resistance at 3.5 MHz. I
do this when I install verticals and it gives a good feel for how little is
gained for much effort in radials. Where the extra 1 or 2 dB matter is on
weak signal low band DXing where signals are at or below the noise level.
This is the kind of DXing I do every day. I need that extra 1 dB.

An MFJ-259 antenna analyzer or similar can be used for measurements. You
might check that the measurements remain the same before and after sunset.
If they change after sunset it means a local AM BC station is overloading
the MFJ-259 during the day. At night AM BC stations drop their power.

I have never used a balun with a ground mounted vertical. I don't think you
will need one. I can examine the hytower assembly manual to see how to add
30 and 60 meters. Or, make do with a tuner in the shack.

Check the loss of RG-213 and LMR-400 coax for the length you will run and
decide from that. For best lightning protection run the coax to the house AC
service entrance and bond the coax shield there. Then run the coax to the
shack. This eliminates a lightning current path through the house wiring.

I think the Hytower connects the coaxial cable shield to the GND.

This is the antenna I plan to use when I move to a non-CC&R neighborhood. Be
aware that this antenna will not run 1 kW on 160 meters without modification
of the base insulators.

  Dave WX7G