CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] A Newcomers Question

To: "'Dave Sloan'" <desloan@earthlink.net>,<cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] A Newcomers Question
From: "Jukka Klemola" <jukka.klemola@elisanet.fi>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 10:02:38 +0200
There are three reasons that come into my mind:

I. Is the station you call answering any others?
You are Mid-West by your call sign.
Maybe the station you try to log is answering louder stations than you?
..that happens to me many times. I have amps, towers and stacks but far
too often I am not strong enough when comparing to barefoot
South-Europeans having a dipole or a wire.

II. Maybe the station you try to call has some inter-station
interference.
That is as I was on 40, my friend sitting next to me got a lot of QRM
from my TX to 20.

III. Maybe the station you call concentrates on other band QSO and is a
little less experienced 2-radio operator.

..once there was a person on a multi operation and he wanted to have his
soup. He did not want to loose his CQ frequency. He just pushed the
voice keyer constantly for three-four minutes and consumed his soup.
These happenings are a rarity. Luckily.
The guy was just amazed when he ended his 3 minute CQ and there was
nobody answering.

I was one of the listeners at that time. I had a fun moment listening to
the guy being amazed nobody called back.

Welcome, newcomer !
Have QSOs = have FUN !
Gather experiences, improve your understanding, skills and station.
Then have even more FUN !

73,
Jukka OH6LI

>Why is it during contests that I can hear a station at say 20db over S9
and
>that they never hear me. I had thought that it was my poor antenna
>installation. But, yesterday I was talking with a friend that has a
tower
>and beam and he says they same thing happens to him. If this were just
a >one
>time occurrence I would chalk it up to the other station just not
having >any
>ears. But this happens numerous times during every contest that I have
>worked. I can hear the other station working all sorts of other
stations. I
have tuned in of the frequency of the station they are working and then
called them on that frequency. I've called maybe 25 or 30 times over a 5
10 minute timeframe. I have heard the same station at different times
during
the contest and on different bands and yet every time I try to work them
they don't hear me. Can someone please explain what I am doing wrong.

TNX & 73,
Dave N0EOP