CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting?

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self spotting?
From: "Holger Hannemann" <holger@9h3m.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2017 09:54:11 +1300
Hi
We were spotting a lot in the last WWDX SSB as for some reason the setting
"spot all when S&P" was active for many hours. We spotted stations worked
and stations that would still not hear us. We found out when checking
cluster traffic. First we thought someone else is using our call. I hope
that doesn't DQ us but than our result was so down from other years that we
probably won't even make it into the top 50 this time.

I'm not sure how much awareness such spotting may create that a certain area
(say OC) is open other than for the station you spot. In most contest
software you see the spotter only for your own call and many stations filter
out spots from other continents.

On the other side the last WWDX SSB contest was a show without us down South
as the Northern lines (EU-AS-NA) were open but we would have needed 3-5 more
hops to join. We did M/2. Run1 was without a single cluster spot for 12
consecutive hours and Run2 for 8-9 hours even so the bands were open and we
were CQing. The rates were accordingly low. But we can see that nobody makes
a 2oo+ rate pointing to VK/ZL.

73 Holger ZL3IO/ZM4T