CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Is QSL Bureau pertinent in today HAM Radio

To: "'Pete Smith N4ZR'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is QSL Bureau pertinent in today HAM Radio
From: "Bill Parry" <bparry@rgv.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 11:49:56 -0500
Pete and I have gone through basically the same process in the QSLing
business. I figured out that QSLing was going to be a problem for me a
number of years ago and I only have about 1/2 the number of QSOs that he
has. I have used a little different logging program (DXBase) but they all do
basically the same thing. My most current process is to upload all of my
QSOs to LOTW (which I really like), eQSL (which I feel is basically a waste
of time and Club Log. Through LOTW I have about 27,000 QSLs. I get from 50 -
100 QSLs every month or two via the bureau and I respond to all those QSLs
via the bureau.  I print the information for the QSLs directly on the QSLs
so no writing for me.

I haven't gone with GlobalQSL because I still enjoy signing my cards and
looking at them before I send them but that could change.

New Band/Countries cost me about $5.00 a card these days and that is the
rub. Working on 9 BDXCC means lotsa QSLing if they don't use LOTW.

If I were getting started on the DXCC road I'm not sure I could afford the
cost of SASEs these days.

Bill W5VX

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
reversebeacon.blogspot.com, spots at telnet.reversebeacon.net, port 7000 and
arcluster.reversebeacon.net, port 7000

On 3/28/2012 3:14 AM, Yannick DEVOS (XV4Y) wrote:
> Paul N6PSE questioning was interesting.
> The last big expeditions (ST0R, T32C) costed around 300 000 USD each...
> For rare entities, people (perhaps not everyone) are ready to pay for
Direct QSL.

> However many reacted the same way than you and dropping QSL Bureau could
be seen as not respecting the deal.