CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Operation times in WWDX

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Operation times in WWDX
From: "Eric Hilding" <dx35@hilding.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 23:05:11 -0700
Shelby, K4WW, wrote:

> Steve Harrison wrote: "I agree; when state QSO Parties began reducing their
> possible operating periods like that, I lost a lot of interest in them."
>
> Which, IMHO, is what makes the different contests, interesting. I have no
> desire, nor have I ever had, to operate any 48 hour contest!  24 hour:
> "almostforsuremaybe", less than 24:  "the possibility increases, as the
> length decreases."
>
> C'Ya, Shelby - K4WW

Interesting how the IOTA Contest handles operating hours categories:

---
4.4 Operating Time:

* 24 hours

* 12 hours

(Multi-Operator entries must be 24 hours. In the 12-hour categories, operation
need not be for one continuous 12-hour period but, once operation has
commenced, off periods must be a minimum of 60 minutes).
---

I wonder how many less than 12 hour semi-casual ops (or real OT's) may be
enticed to spend a bit more time stretching to a total of 12 hours to possibly
win an award?  Probably more during better propagation condx, but I endorse the
overall concept.  Umh, the IOTA Contest is a type of "WW" DX Contest, of course
:-)

FWIW & 73...

Rick, K6VVA