CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote operations

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Remote operations
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2015 22:21:25 -0500
It is difficult enough to keep everything working at a contest station when
you are there operating. It is a real challenge to have everything work when
operating remotely. Kudos to all that are doing this successfully.

John KK9A

To:     cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject:        [CQ-Contest] Remote operations
From:   K4XS via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date:   Thu, 26 Feb 2015 17:43:27 -0500

I don't have a dog in this fight.  I don't operate remote and  I don't rent
my station out for remote ops.

I spent big bucks and lots of time building my station(s).  If  someone
else wants to spend $30/hr  to remotely operate a station, who  cares?
Maybe
the guy lives in an apartment or condo with no antenna.   As long as he
properly IDs and operates in good practice I have no  problem.

If he wants to blow $1440 to remotely operate a contest for 48  hours, is
that really a lot different than someone flying to Aruba or KP2  spending
money on airfare and renting a station in person?

I chose to spend $$ on my station to gain an advantage in contests,  the
remote op chooses to do it differently.  The guy who flies to a  semi-rare
location for a contest does it differently too.  Which is  unfair?  None.

Our hobby is changing and always has been.  Those of us old  farts remember
when SSB was relegated to the top of the phone band.   Remember when
computer logging started?   Shrieks and howls. Remember  when super check
partial
started?  Shrieks and howls.  SO2R?   Shieks and howls.  All of them brought

controversy  and changes to  contesting.  And guess what, the sky didn't
fall and contesting is alive  and well.  Remote operating may not be my or
your cup of tea.   However, like it or not, it is here to stay...just like
computer logging, SO2R  and SCP.

K4XS/KH7XS