CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] 3X6A

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 3X6A
From: "Art Boyars" <art.boyars@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 22:04:39 -0500
The postings from AD1C, W8FJ, and W9ZS prompt me to tell two related stories.

First, in ARRL DX CW this past Sunday morning I was filling in at W3LPL on 40M.
 Calling CQ toward JA/Pacific some time well after sunrise (maybe 12Z) I was
answered by a very loud, solid "YO7ARY" (or maybe he said YO6).  I did not hear
any other Europeans, nor did I see spots or hear other East Coast stations work
any Europeans then.  I left him in the log, and informed Frank.

The second story I have recounted here before, but I love it.  Long time ago --
maybe forty years, and before prefixes went wild, and before there were Contest
DXpeditions, and when you KNEW every rare mult -- I saw a Soapbox for a DX Test
(probably ARRL):  "I left 4Q2OM in the log because it was the right time, the
beam heading was right, the signal sounded right, and I needed the Sri Lanka
multiplier."

73, Art K3KU