CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Too Much 'Assistance'?

To: "'Stan Stockton'" <wa5rtg@gmail.com>, "Mike & Coreen Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Too Much 'Assistance'?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 15:39:57 -0500
> Much ado about nothing given that you are using assisted category in the
first
> place, in my opinion.
>
> 73...Stan, K5GO

I'm with Stan on this (full text of his post below.)

The rules against self-spotting are designed to prevent the more egregious
form, which is to spot one's run frequency. The potential impact of doing
that is far greater than self-spotting as a caller -- i.e., generating a
larger pileup and consequently higher rate versus being able to correctly
log one station.

There's a big difference between spotting a call and spotting both a call
and frequency. While the call is of course important, the second piece of
information, the frequency, is critical to locating stations and potential
new mults. When we worked on the Skimmer issue, the CAC defined a "spot" as
containing both pieces of information, and outlawed to use of spots from any
source, including local and remote Skimmers, in the SO Unassisted category.

But once you're in the Assisted or Unlimited category, you've crossed the
line into using spots. That's the definition. As long as you can find
stations/mults without tuning, which is a huge difference from the skills
required for SO Unassisted, it doesn't seem like a big deal that you can
copy a call sign from the spotting network.

I'm not saying it's right to self-spot as a caller, or let Skimmer do it for
you, but I think we should determine if this is a significant problem (i.e.,
significantly affects contest results) before getting too bent out of shape
about it.

When Tony first brought this up on the YCCC reflector, I thought a simple
solution would be for the cluster to mask the call sign of the spotter. But
of course that could open the door to more self-spotting.

But on reflection, I do think self-spotting as a caller could be detectable.
The log-checking software could check for spots of a CQing station by a
caller who worked the station within, say, one minute of the spot. If that
pattern appears more than a certain number of times in a log (10?, 15?,
25?), then the station could be warned or DQed.

73, Dick WC1M

Canadian