CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Re: Old topic, new wrinkle (not really)

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Old topic, new wrinkle (not really)
From: ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca (Kelly Taylor)
Date: Wed Jan 22 18:28:45 2003
I'm with George on this one. First of all, some contests (ARRL specifically)
say that single operator is a station where one operator does all the
operating, logging and equipment and antenna adjustments himself. I do not
believe this rule to prohibit guest ops, merely the activities and who
performs them DURING the contest.

So, for ARRL contests at leasts, that answers the question about getting
help during the contest.

As George has said, guest opping does not make it a piece of cake, either.
You're in unfamiliar surroundings, dealing with unfamiliar cable routings,
antennas, propagation, etc.

Finally, contest operating is not about station design. It's about
operating. It's about when all the antenna work is done and now it's just
you and the machine. If someone can travel to Arecibo and win SS year after
year from someone else's station, all the power to them. If I can't travel
to Arecibo myself, that's not his fault, is it?

Tom says it's not about sour grapes, and I tend to believe that he thinks
that's true. But I also detect perhaps a hint of jealousy in his post.

I think it's time to realize that we win or we don't win not because there
aren't enough categories but simply because we got beat or we didn't. Pure
and simple. Maybe for ultimate fairness we should just make everyone a
category unto themselves. Then everybody wins. Or do they?

73, kelly
ve4xt