CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting AD Nauseum

To: "'CQ Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting AD Nauseum
From: "Paul J. Piercey" <p.piercey@nl.rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 04:04:00 -0000

Maybe. The spot would have to be correct though. Part and parcel of the
cluster mentality is that you, seemingly, don't have to ID as often because
everyone should know who you are. If everyone used the cluster, thereby
eliminating the assisted/non-assisted division, then it wouldn't be as much
of a problem. Conversely, if these stations that garner such pileups would
ID more often, the need for the cluster would diminish measurably.

> That's just one example but I think there are lots of ways in
> which packet could enhance the score of even a top contester.
> By merging assisted an unassisted categories you would take
> away choice and force everyone who wanted to compete, to use packet.
>
> Dave G4BUO

I've found it useful when looking for something specific but totally useless
when trying to get a decent score. Maybe I am not skilled enough.

I am not so much in favour of keeping the two categories as I am in
eliminating the cluster altogether. Not really sure exactly how I would vote
on it though if given the chance. I have pretty well decided that I will not
be using it in a contest situation anymore unless I don't plan on getting a
score as much as getting new counters for awards and such.

73 -- Paul VO1HE