CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Typing practice

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Typing practice
From: "James Cain" <cainjim@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2005 12:38:54 -0400
Jeff Maass, said:

>I was distressed when looking through the PJ2T UBN for a CQWW CW to find that
>we lost two P4 QSOs on 160 meters when the operator typed the letter "O" (Oh)
>>instead of the digit "0" (zero) in the "P40" prefixes.

>A stupid, very hard-to-find typo that a human log checker would never
>find/penalize, but which the computerized log checking finds and penalizes
>with mechanized glee!

Blame the idiot who put oh next to zero on the keyboard.

Someone could write a little program to scrub a Cabrillo log for errors like
this before submission. i.e., "P Four OH is not a valid prefix." And logging
programs, in fact, every program, should put a slash through zeroes.

When I was an air traffic controller (1970-73) hand-writing "flight progress
strips," we underlined "5" to differentiate it from "S." Of course, there was
something at stake there ....

Jim Cain, K1TN
"No cell phone, no worry"