CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Casual vs organized "alerting"

To: "'Ev Tupis'" <w2ev@yahoo.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Casual vs organized "alerting"
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 08:33:07 -0600
Ev,

I didn't intend to suggest that there *should be* a time limit. Instead, my
questions were meant to point out how unrealistic (maybe even absurd) such a
definition of assisted would be. My summary statement of "No way" is the
answer to all of those questions I posed.

Bottom line of all of this (this is not specifically spelled out in any
current rules that I know of - but it should be) is that for you to be
assisted, you must either connect yourself to a spotting network of some
sort(packet, Internet, FM, or other) or use the assistance of others that
you have pre-planned or arranged to do so with. Nothing anyone else can do
during the contest can force you to change categories - even if someone
passes along some juicy DX info about a mult that you would not otherwise
have been aware of. The key thing to focus on is the random, unplanned
nature of such information being passed to you.

If someone were to make an arrangement or plan with others to provide such
assistance during the contest, pretending it to be random and unplanned, and
then claim to be un-assisted, which would mean that the person is being
dishonest and lying about it, that would clearly be cheating. Such an entry
should be Disqualified - not merely re-categorized.

73,

Bob W5OV