CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time that the contest sponsors officially identif

To: wa5rtg@gmail.com, john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it time that the contest sponsors officially identify SCP as "assisted?"
From: w2up@comcast.net <w2up@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2015 20:24:52 GMT

    Yes, automation is on the way. Last month I drove from Denver to Vegas and
back with no foot on the pedal and no hands on the steering wheel for 1400 of
the 1700 mile trip. Compared to that, automated contesting is easy!
Barry W2UP
Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE Smartphone

------ Original message------From: Stan StocktonDate: Wed, Dec 2, 2015 8:35
AMTo: john@kk9a.com;Cc: cq-contest@contesting.com;Subject:Re: [CQ-Contest] Is
it time that the contest sponsors officially identify SCP as "assisted?"
Making code readers cause you to be in assisted category is a stop measure to
total automation.  After lunch the other day, my bother who is not a ham and
who heard nothing but talk of all this for an hour during lunch, told me that
it seemed a very small step to go from what is being done by a human to total
automation.73...Stan, K5GO/ZF2ET> On Dec 2, 2015, at 8:00 AM, "john@kk9a.com"
wrote:> > Until recently I thought that assisted meant getting outside
assistance to> find stations, typically multipliers. Skimmer made this more
complicated> as it really is not anyone else helping you find stations. Then
the> committee changed the rules to include code readers as assisted.
Certainly> logging software and computer generated CW are also some type of>
assistance or why would we use them. There would be no way to run on two> bands
simultaneously using a keyer and pad of paper.  Where does this end?> > John
KK9A> > > To:    cq-contest@contesting.com> Subject:    [CQ-Contest] Is it time
that the contest sponsors officially> identify SCP as "assisted?"> From:
kr2q@optimum.net> Date:    Mon, 30 Nov 2015 23:26:40 +0000 (GMT)> List-post:
mailto:cq-contest@contesting.com>> Yes, the sponsors (or their committees) make
the rules and the definitions.> > In CQWW and other contests, use of a database
to alter calls is not> allowed...post contest.> > There can be zero doubt that
using SCP is using a database assembled by> others.> Is there really a
difference in changing a callsign during the contest via> use> of a db as>
compared to changing it after the contest via a database?  Think about it.> >
Please focus on the "database" aspect rather than the timing aspect.> > If CQWW
can recognize use of a CW decoder (any type, not just skimmer> type) as>
assisted,> then why not recognize use of SCP as assisted?> > For me (IMHO), use
of SCP is far more "assisted" than use of a cw decoder.> > If SCP partial is
not helping you "copy" the callsign, then why use it? > Would> you be happy> to
operate without it?  If yes, then say so.  If no, say so...and please> clarify
why not.> > This is an old tune for me.  See my NCJ article from May 1996,
which covers> many topics,> including SCP.  Don't have it available?  Write me
and I'll send you a copy.> > Some things never change....or can they?> > Usual
disclaimer about my opinion versus my membership on the CQWWCC.> > de Doug
list> CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
 mailing
listCQ-Contest@contesting.comhttp://lists.contesting.com/mailman/listinfo/cq-contest