CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Principles behind multipliers

To: "'Kenneth E. Harker'" <kenharker@kenharker.com>,<CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Principles behind multipliers
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 15:30:47 -0400

> By principle 1, we don't need to make Big Bend National Park
> (for example) its own multiplier even if we were to make DC a
> separate multiplier, because the park's location inside the
> Texas (state) or West Texas (section) multiplier already ensures
> geographic completeness.  It is already inside a member of the
> set whose union completely covers the target multiplier area.
> The park's status as federal land is completely irrelevant to
> the physical geography problem posed in the selection of
> relevant multipliers.

Based on this, DC is fully contained within Maryland even though
it is separately administered just as Big Bend National Park is
administered separately from Texas.

> Personally, I don't really care one way or another.  It might
> be nice not make newcomers or casual contesters have to struggle
> with DC's status with each new contest they try, but on the other
> hand it's not like we should have every contest be exactly the
> same - variety is a good thing.  The most important thing, in my
> opinion, is completeness and clarity in the rules.

In only care as it relates to the "multipliers for the sake of
multipliers."  The legitimate bases for multipliers in general
purpose contests are: 1) states and provinces, 2) call areas,
3) zones, 4) grids/fields, 5) "countries" (DXCC).  Specialty
contests might use: 1) Counties (state QSO parties), 2) Islands
(IOTA), 3) Sections (Sweepstakes), etc.   I certainly do not see
where DC fits as a multiplier under any rational criteria.

When it comes to NAQP, I would expect to see Mexican provinces
added to the multiplier list long before DC.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK

PS. Add 4U1WB and foreign embasies/consulates to the list of
   "entities" that should qualify as multipliers if DC is
    made a multiplier in NAQP.