CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Phone Results

To: <CQ-Contest@CONTESTING.COM>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] ARRL DX Phone Results
From: "ku8e" <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2008 17:10:18 -0400
Maybe the powers to be at the ARRL should revisit their policy on publishing
contest results.

 The average age of most hams in the US is somewhere in their 50's.  If they
are like me many
of them are probably life members of the ARRL.   Life membership in the ARRL
was pretty cheap
back in the 1980's when joined up. That means the ARRL is not getting any
revenue from me
for a QST subsciption.

  It seems like publishing all contest related material in an expanded NCJ
would be the way to go.
This could become an additional stream of revenue for the ARRL. I would think
they would get support
from many of their advertisers and maybe some additional ones of contest
related products.  Let's be
truthful... is the shack on the belt or new amateur really a good target for a
$$10K +  HF radio. Probably
not. The big three radio manufacturers  would get "more bang for their buck" by
advertising these high end
products in NCJ. Keep QST the way it is now as a publication to attract
newcomers to the hobby. There
could be a contest related article published in QST every once in awhile  to
get the new guys to give contesting
a try.

This same concept could be used in other segments of our hobby - DXing, digital
modes , homebrewers etc....
Reduce the size of QST to have more general interest articles. Times have
changed - QST is not the "one
stop place" for our news like it was years ago.

Jeff  KU8E