CQ-Contest

Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] Bad news for BPL = Good news for us

To: "Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>,"superberthaguy" <superberthaguy@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] Bad news for BPL = Good news for us
From: "Milt, N5IA" <n5ia@zia-connection.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:36:50 -0700
On the contrary Jim.

I have been directly involved with telecommunications AND electric power
distribution in a very rural area for nearly 40 years.

I have successfully deployed wireless Internet delivery across a 5,000
square mile area with just over 50 Access Points serving nearly 2,000
subscribers.

It would take 10 times the investment to do the same via BPL on our power
lines, and then still not deliver to every potential subscriber because of
the remoteness of some locations.  With electric kWh meter density at near 5
per mile (that includes water wells, barns, and other locations which are
not permanent human dwellings) there would be more BPL repeaters than
subscribers.

And my electric meters per mile ratio is somewhat higher than many, many
other RURAL areas of the country which have densisties of TWO to THREE kWh
METERS per MILE.

IMHO, wireless IS the solution for most rural areas that I am acquainted
with.

Milt, N5IA