CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] rfi-proof telephone

To: "cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] rfi-proof telephone
From: "David Hachadorian" <K6LL@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:35:36 -0700
From: "Andrew Faber" <andrew.faber@gte.net>
To: "NCCC Reflector" <nccc@contesting.com>; <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 11:44 AM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] rfi-proof telephone

  > Does anyone have a current recommendation for an rfi-proof telephone
that I could buy to >use for telephone interference testing?

I've had excellent luck with the Radio Shack 43-591.
Although this phone is no longer available, the
43-875 (ET-296) looks almost exactly like it.
The price is $14.99.  I have not personally tested
it, but I think it's a good bet. If it doesn't
solve your problem, just return it, with all the
original packaging, for a refund.

When doing your test, if interference persists on
the RS phone, unplug all the other phones and
modems in the house. I found one case where the
DirecTV modem was overloading and putting AUDIO
trash out on the phone line.

The RS model 43-150 filter works fairly well, too.
The last time I bought one (for that DirecTV set)
it looked exactly like the K-Comm unit. The
filter is $13.49.

I keep a supply of phones available for free handout
to the neighbors during contests. Jacki
handles them without bothering me. She also stresses
the importance of the contest, that I can't be disturbed,
and promises that I will call them on Monday to see what
can be done in THEIR house to solve the problem.

Let us all know how the phones/filters work out.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ

.