CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Public Logs

To: "CQ-Contest Reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Public Logs
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 13:44:22 -0800
> Not on your life!  My log is my log - I make it available to the
> contest sponsor for checking as a condition of entry but it is NOT
> public and should never be made public.  There is no reason for it
> to be made public.

You may choose not to share the details of your station or your methods of
operation that can not be deduced from a public record of your QSO's. But
all of the contacts were completely public. When it comes to activities
conducted over the airwaves of Amateur Radio, the concept of "private" ends
at the antenna.  This is by definition - both of physics and of regulation -
and has nothing to do with what is in your submitted log.

The day is rapidly approaching when any station's activities on the air will
be trackable in real-time and recorded for posterity.  All it takes is a few
receivers sprinkled around the globe with software to decode the various
transmissions.  Admittedly, unraveling a pileup may take a little longer,
but technology is moving quickly.  With enough submitted QSO's, I can
reconstruct your log whether you submit one or not. This is not a good hobby
for anyone that isn't comfortable being visible.

The very concept of a "private log" of anything involving a radio
transmission is on its last legs.

73, Ward N0AX