CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cheating with packet
From: Gilles RENUCCI <ve2tzt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 03:09:22 +0000
Sorry to get some bandpass on this endless topic but the judicious example
of Joe, W4TV :

>The difference in "single operator" vs. "assisted" in radiosport
>would be like a starting a two man bobsled with a four man crew
>for the extra "push" at the start ...

had helped me to understand the ''opposite" points of view. And from where
the difference is coming.

If we summarise the contest categories according to a segmentation point of
view,

There is an axis for the kind of ''team'' (single op, M/S, M2, M/M , ect..)
And an axis for the "advantage"/"handicap" (QRP, LP,HP, tribander/wire.)
(More axis could exist according to the contest rules (CW,PHONE, MIXT,.))

Most of the time, all the cells of the matrix cannot be filled by a special
category, otherwise, we will have too few competitors per category.

If we just stay on the '' assisted'' question, the disagreement is coming
from the fact that some, including most of contest sponsors are putting the
''assisted'' stations on the ''team'' axis, arguing that the ''assisted'' is
helped by a sort of ''un-localised remote virtual'' team and then is a kind
of team, others (whose I am) are thinking that it should be on the ''
advantage'' axis, arguing that as that team is only virtual, not in the
station AND HAVE NO ANY WILL, NOR CONSCIOUSNESS , to help THIS PARTICULAR ''
assisted'' station the ''team'' qualification is EXCESSIVE and the use of
spotting can just be considered as a ''mechanical'' or ''electronic'' help.

The gaming of this choice is : if we choose the ''team'' axis, obviously
there is a room for a separate category BUT if we choose the ''advantage''
axis, the advantage is not big enough to justify a separate category..
Strange.

Gilles / VE2TZT