CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] NAQP Power Levels

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Power Levels
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Thu Aug 6 09:34:43 1998
As an Omni VI user that uses a Titan linear during the NAQP (missed last
weekend - family commitment) for one of the two stations I use when I do
NAQP I thought I would tell you why...

Because the rules say I can run 150 Watts.......

I appreciate the second station amp (Alpha 374) even more so than the main
Ten Tec stn - the olde TS430 driver at position two just don't have  much
ummph left in her....so on some bands its 40 or 50 watts out.

To those who say the meaning of the rules is that it was intended to say:
there should be no amplifiers I say......OH?  I never seen that in the
rules....

I have however read that 150 Watts is the limitation so I run 150...those
who have operated from my station KNOW the little pieces of masking tape on
the W4 wattmeters at the 150 mark and are able to figure out why they are
there!

You enjoy the advantages of not having to tune up the linear when you
QSY....I will run 150 watts with the linear if the rules say I can run 150
watts and my exciter ain't 150 W output.

Oh yes, and one other thing......50 or 75 watts IS considerably less than
the 150 WATTS THAT THE RULES ALLOW.

Now if I had an FT1000 I suppose some would assume I was running over 150
watts, right?

No, I did not take this personally but if it was intended for someone else
- I share your  disappointment at the assumption that you must be bending
or even breaking the rules.

Time to start up the how do you measure SSB power thread again....at least
on CW it is simple :-)

73,

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm