CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band
From: "Franki ON5ZO" <on5zo@telenet.be>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 05:28:42 +0100
This problem of contesting and band plans has been brought up numerous times
before. Especially on 40m where the bandwidth is just too small to fit all
of us in. 40m SSB during a contest is really painfull in EU, because of all
the big guns want to run in a 60 kHz frame. With 3 kHz bandwith, that would
limit the band to 20 running stations. Time sharing, anyone? It's my turn to
run now, you got to S&P!

Maybe it will get better when the 7 MHz spectrum fully expands - most of us
in EU now have access to 7100-7200 already but many people's rigs (including
mine) aren't modified to go above 7100 yet.
That said, I think 20m was as least as crowded his past weekend as 40m. I
never witnessed 14 MHz this busy!

I think we shouldn't whine any more about this. As a primary CW operator, I
do not mind that a couple of times a year the SSB signals come down the the
bottom edge. I even join in on the SSB fun (respecting the bandplan though
for as much as I can). Just like in a major RTTY contest where RTTY goes
down to 7020 or so. Who cares, what better use of the spectrum than
contesting? Bandplans are to be respected, I am the first to admit. But with
contesting becoming ever so popular, we sometimes need to be flexible and
'stretch' the band plan. In 4 weeks you will hear CW above 7060, there just
is no way out!

It's like my favourite hiking route "hijacked" for a mountainbike race twice
a year, or the road being closed for the Tour de France so we have to take a
detour. A little inconvenient but not a show stopper. In stead of being
negative, join in on the fun (or go fishing like someone else advised).
There is much more in life (and the hobby!) to worry about than the use of
the spectrum during a dozen contests a year. If it weren't for contesting,
the HF bands would seem dead - just like on a casual week day.

Be tolerant and love thy neighbour, even if he's in a different HF sub-band
;o)

73 de Franki ON5ZO / OQ5M