CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Category

To: "'Gilles RENUCCI'" <ve2tzt@arrl.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R Category
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 23:17:19 -0500
Gilles,

> I other sports, categories segmentation are made in order to
> put equal strength competitors in a same group. (F3, F1 for
> cars, size of boat for sailing,.).

In the case of radiosport, it is traditionally not the "advantage"
as you put it that determines the category.  It is like the difference
in singles luge vs. two man bobsled vs. four man bobsled, or singles
vs. doubles in tennis, or individual medley vs. team medley in
swimming, or the individual 1500 meter vs. 4 x 400 meter relay.

In radiosport the categories are single operator, single operator
assisted (one operator with spotting assistance) and multi-operator.
Nowhere do any of the categories talk about the equipment used or
any "advantage"/"handicap" it is simply "individual" or team sport.
The difference in "single operator" vs. "assisted" in radiosport
would be like a starting a two man bobsled with a four man crew
for the extra "push" at the start ... not exactly even competition
regardless of the hardware used!

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV