CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] CQ WW decision making and conflict of interest.

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW decision making and conflict of interest.
From: "Yuri VE3XB" <ve3xb@rogers.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 18:29:47 -0400
As Tonno just wrote "I'm amazed to see" how people discussing this CQ
Magazine decision failed to ask first and most important question - who
benefits?

I believe that if we stop being distracted by emotions and all those liberal
buzz words, we will be able to understand what really has happened.

So let's see, does CQ Magazine benefit from banning Crimeans from CQ WW
contest?
Do the international contest community or HAM spirit?
Do people of Ukraine or Russia?

The answer to all these questions is NO, but still the decision has been
made and now the Crimeans and most important - contest superstation UU7J are
all out of competition.

Keeping in mind that there were only two comparable superstations in the
area and long lasting rivalry existed between them (I've visited both
stations and think I know what I'm talking about) the clear winner is
another team.

Funny, but Igor (Gary) US0LW, CQ WW Contest Committee member, who was a
locomotive of pushing this idea through, is also an active operator of this
"winning" team. He was well aware that using Ukrainian call-sign in Crimea
at present moment is out of question, but still insisted on making it into
the statement. If this is not a conflict of interest then I'm wondering what
is?

Today on ContestRu reflector another member of the same team was teasingly
asking the Crimeans of what they are going to do now in order to get to the
next WRTC?

And looks that we have more to come - because of recent information leak, it
is not a secret anymore that the same group of contesters, led by US0LW is
working now to get similar decisions from the ARRL, IOTA and RSGB Contest
Committees - just to make the main competitors completely disappear.

Maybe I'm all wrong but still it is very sad day for CQ WW Contest, CQ
Magazine and for all of us.

73 Yuri VE3XB