CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] QRP

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] QRP
From: "Randy Johnson" <randyj@loan-wolf.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:58:15 -0700
As one who recently operated Field Day as a QRP station - it was an absolute
blast!!!!! - I have a QRP suggestion. When a loud station who can't hear you
stomps on you while you are vainly calling CQ in a "non-contest," it doesn't
feel any better than when, as a weak station, you get stomped on during a real
contest.

It seems obvious to me that in any contest ALL of the big guns work each other.
Right? So to some extent, a big score is dependent upon

1. working the itinerant station who gets on for a half-hour and only works the
loud stations, which they do anyway, and
2. how many weak stations you work, some of whom, by definition, will be QRP
stations

If I am right, there is an incentive for ALL participants to create conditions
where more QRP stations can be worked.  I'll let others debate the "special
score" suggestion made below, but it seems to me as if it would make sense to
create a "QRP zone" in contests where QRP stations wouldn't be as likely to get
stomped on and where a BIG GUN who has worked almost everyone else can go find
someone he hasn't.

I would like to suggest that some 10kHz slot be set aside by gentleman's
agreement for QRP to call CQ stations. For CW, the 060 to 070 slot might work
well in smaller contest where activity doesn't get that high. Or how about 090
to 100 in the bigger ones?  It's not generally busy in domestic contest, and
doesn't interfere with PSKer's and RTTYers.  Point is that if you pick that
zone right, NO ONE ELSE can possibly get offended by feeling something is
getting taken away from him.

This would have an additional benefit of encouraging more QRP stations to
participate in contests. These days - total WA guess - but probably less than
5% of participants are QRP. Would creating this type of incentive encourage
more to try a serious effort?

My suggestion is that, if I survive the flaming for this suggestion, those in
power pick SOME upcoming contest, perhaps a state QSO part that gets a lot of
activity, like CQP, and give it a trial shot.

Randy W6SJ

At the risk of being accused of excessive irony, I suggest that anyone who logs
a QRP station in a contest should get double QSO points for the extra effort
involved, and if the QRP station sends /QRP,the other station should get 4X
points as a PITA bonus.

73, Pete N4ZR