CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Skimmer

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer
From: "James Cain" <cainjim@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:47:21 -0400
When I first tried CT, K1EA's groundbreaking contest software, in 1988, I don't
recall it being a big deal to get running on my powerful PC XT confuser. CT
kept my log for me and sent CW out through an LPT port to a key jack. CT did
two things I could do myself; keeping a log and dupe sheet, and doubling as a
memory keyer. I published a 4-page QST article on the subject, "The Mind of the
Contester."

I don't see how a (local) skimmer can do anything I can't do myself, ie, tune
the band. It can't copy, er, decode, CW any better than I. Actually, it
apparently isn't close.

If somebody is so sensorily deprived that he needs a skimmer for his single op
effort, and is willing to do all the hookups, and the skimmer is entirely local
to his station and antennas, I congratulate him on his efforts, and good luck.
The log checking, UBN or LCR or whatever, will render the verdict.

This hobby is about radio, not confusers. I get enough of that at work....

Jim Cain, K1TN