CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Real-time score collection

To: "'Ken Wolff'" <ken@k1ea.com>, "'Jim Idelson'" <k1ir@designet.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real-time score collection
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 18:29:28 -0000
There is already a system like this in use in Europe I think just for some
of the regional vhf contests. And as you can guess it causes problems for
the rest of the world when they don't filter out the changed pc messages
before they get to different node types.  i.e. we end up seeing qso by qso
logs and inter-station chat as a/full messages.

This would seem to be a less than satisfactory method of collecting scores
from around the world... though it might be useful to provide gateways from
local nodes to the score web site.  A special announce like 'a/scores class=
x qso=x mult=x score=x' could be used and then collected by someone and
packaged into the xml for posting.  It might also be done as a talk to a
specific call if the special announce isn't handled well by some nodes.  As
long as these don't forward around the world like the European ones do at
times it should be easy enough to implement.  If its done as a talk all the
user would have to do is find the local score gateway call and tell their
logger who to 'talk' to for posting the score.

Getting results back is a bigger problem.  Not knowing how big the leader
list might be could make it a problem... but the collection program could
periodically query the board, find the user's who have posted scores in it
and then send a talk back to the user with updates... no changes to cluster
software needed.

The ultimate way of course is for the user to have direct internet access
and post/read directly, but for those with limited or no internet capability
this might help out.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net