CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"

To: "'Mark Beckwith'" <n5ot@n5ot.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] "?" not equal to "QRL?"
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 07:16:49 -0500
Mark,

Many of the people who are now active don't have the background that many of

us 'OT's (no pun intended) do of coming up through the traffic handling
ranks where the didit dit method was learned back in the last millennium.

I think that the use of a ? (dididadadidit)is not a bad substitute as it
always elicits a didadididit (wait prosign, 'AS') from me - regardless of
the reason it was sent. It's shorter than QRL and will QRM the guy I'm
trying to hear somewhat less.

I think the problem is mainly that no one seems to know what didadididit
(AS) means anymore. Simply, it means wait and don't transmit until I tell
you to.

It also seems that many of these newer hams (they're not younger - just more
recently licensed) tune around looking for a clear frequency with their 250
Hz (or narrower) filters switched in, along with several DSP stages dialing
their receive bandwidth down to a few Hz. They need to learn to open that
receiver up and hear what is going on around them.

A lot of the "logging people working someone else" phenomena that is blamed
for a lot of NIL penalties could be avoided by listening +/- only a few
hundred Hz or so, for a few seconds before calling a CQ - or QRMing ongoing
QSOs.

73,

Bob W5OV