CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio appliances (long and OT)

To: "'Kelly Taylor'" <ve4xt@mts.net>,"'Robert Chudek'" <k0rc@pclink.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Radio appliances (long and OT)
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:45:45 -0400
> Ahem. Why would anybody need to know the basics of serial
> port communication when computers don't even have serial
> ports any more?

Because ... lacking a standard CAT protocol, VID/PID identifiers
a database of supported radios and manufacturer provided, certified
drivers USB interfaces default to a virtual serial port (serial
port converter) mode.  Some manufacturers of amateur interfaces
even hijack the VID/PID of the chip makers' "serial converters"
rather than go through the cost and "hoops" to get their own
drivers certified.

It's not just the issue of serial protocols, RS-232 vs. TTL vs.
USB.  It's a matter of differing control protocols and
fragmented functions (radio control, vs. CW, vs. sound, etc.).
Until the manufacturers start providing a USB port with registered
VID/PID, a certified driver, and a fully standard and documented
command sets, the amateur world will be stuck with understanding
serial port communications and the application developers will
have to put up with the fragmentation.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV