CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] 3 QSO penalty PS

To: <k3bu@optonline.net>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 3 QSO penalty PS
From: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 21:17:37 -0000
The reason you get no sympathy around here is that everyone who participates
in a contest gets scored the same way.  You are right, its not like the old
days where only the top few logs in a category may get a good looking at.
And it is much easier for the log checkers to find NIL and B and even bad
exchanges in some contests... and since the computer does much of the work
there are many of us seeing score reductions now that 10 years ago would
never have been taken because the log checkers just didn't have time to
check everything by hand.  But when you enter the contest you know the
rules, you know the scoring method, and you know the penalties, they are all
there in black and white... including the statement that the judgement of
the log checkers is final, bla, bla, bla, and more legalese...  So, by
sending in your log, YOU AGREED to these rules, including the penalties!
Its not like this is something new that was hatched after whatever contest
you are complaining about this time was run just to reduce your score and
prevent you from breaking a record.  These techniques have been around for
years and are well known and are applied to everyone.  You don't like the
rules, either don't participate, or work with the contest sponsors to change
them... but don't think that throwing flaming emails on an email reflector
year after year is going to get the rules changed.  It might get you some
attention, mostly bad, but for the most part it won't get your issues
addressed by the people who you have to persuade.  So get yourself elected
as a cac member for the arrl if you can, or try to make nice with the cqww
committee, and if they already aren't too annoyed with your ranting maybe,
just maybe, you might persuade them to see it your way in a few years.

David Robbins K1TTT
e-mail: mailto:k1ttt@arrl.net
web: http://www.k1ttt.net