CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX & Activity (Was: Intended consequences)

To: 'Bob Shohet KQ2M' <kq2m@kq2m.com>, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WPX & Activity (Was: Intended consequences)
From: Yuri Blanarovich <k3bu@optimum.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 21:19:14 -0400
Excellent 'splanation why WPX has become more fun, more popular.
Off times in the contest should be around 3 - 6 hours per 24 hour segment,
for the reasons Bob outlined.
When people go on "expedition" to that rare prefix, they enjoy more
operating time, with some rest periods, just enough to recharge.

Another booster was the giving some points for domestic QSOs (could use
double for low bands to boost interest and activity during darkness hours.)

Rule changes should be done in a way that they promote increase in the
scores (records).
Rule changes should be done to keep up with developments in technology and
ham population density.
Kudos to K5ZD for picking up the torch and making WPX brighter star on the
contest sky.
Put Skimmer into equipment category and not being "assistant".
CW WPX could be moved up in the calendar.

Now if CQ WW corrected penalizing points per QSO (make it all QSOs 3
points),
eliminated 3 QSOs penalties, it would be more "equal" with more activity and
fun.
That was justified back in early slow years. Nowadays does not make sense.

Yuri, K3BU
See you all at Tesla Radiofest BBQ, Glen Spey, NY  July 23
www.TeslaRadio.org
www.MVmanor.com