CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] why non-contesters hate us

To: "'Jim Smith'" <jimsmith@shaw.ca>, <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] why non-contesters hate us
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 07:07:24 -0500
VE7FO said:

"Good for you, Doug. I have long thought that we should be "naming names"
here as a matter of course."

I agree 100% with one warning. Sometimes the guilty party is just a lid and
may not have any intent to cause trouble. Rare, but I think we need to think
of this. There is also the possibility that the other station does not hear
the station he is QRMing - again, a possibility but highly suspect for the
reasons W9WI listed.

In this case, and in my experience, I think this is a tactic that is used
effectively - although I find it reprehensible. The offender finds a second
or third tier U.S. station calling CQ and figures that it must be a clear
frequency in the U.S., so why not steal it from the less-than-first-tier
guy? Especially so if he manages to get a run going quickly. For this
reason, I doubt that he would have selected a non-contester frequency.

That said, everything done on the air is public, so one's on-air behavior
should be something that one is proud of, so why not name names?

Can this sort of thing be a deterrent? I hope so.

73,

Bob W5OV