CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band

To: "'LA5HE Ragnar Otterstad'" <la5he@otterstad.dk>,"'CQ Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SSB in CW band
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 13:24:50 -0500

> Self-enforcement has worked for decades in Region 1. Only in
> the past few years have we seen the selfish behaviour from
> contesters, showing no respect or concern for others.

Nonsense ... there have been problems in Region 1 for 30 years.
It's just that the number of problem makers and number of "big
gun" station have been small enough that it has been easy for
you to bury your head in the sane and ignore them.

Now that it has become easier for many to build big stations,
the problems in Region 1 are becoming difficult for you to
ignore or blame on the USA.

> This has to stop and the contest comitees need to adress the
> problem in it's " age of puberty" !

It is not the job of the contest committees to address this
problem.  If it were, band plans would have been enforced on
160 meters a long time ago.

Contest committees already do their job by not including 30,
17, and 12 meters in the major all band contests.  There are
alternatives for individuals who do not want to deal with the
"contest QRM."  Nobody or no mode "owns" any frequency so
nobody should expect to be able to let their VOF or bandswitch
rust in one position.

If you want to keep SSB out of the CW bands convince the
authorities in the rest of the world to impose the "bandplans"
by regulation.  If you are not willing to have regulation, shut
up and deal with the competition caused by the limited spectrum.