CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Rule Change Debate on Skimmer
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:06:16 +0100
From: <don.field@gmail.com>

> ... but sending CW by hand is just as much an
> "amateur" skill as receiving CW and we let that
> one go years ago. This is what is driving me
> mad - the debate is so inconsistent.

I'll try to resolve this inconsistency.

I have claimed that decoding by ear is the one
thing which sets CW apart from all "other" data
modes.

If you don't agree, then what else is necessary to
complete the distinction?  Of course, nothing else
will satisfy those who are already convinced that
CW is indeed just another data mode.

The fact that CW can be sent by hand reinforces the
difference between CW and data modes, but it is not
a prerequisite.  Decoding by ear, on its own, is a
sufficient differentiator.

73,
Paul EI5DI