CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY contest software

To: "cq-contest reflector" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RTTY contest software
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 02:51:53 -0000

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gary Jones" <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>
To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, October 20, 2006 10:10 PM
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RTTY contest software

I have found the N1MM vs CT thread very interesting and would like some
comments on a similar question.

I have done a number of RTTY DXpeditions over the past 10-15 years
(HS0AC, XX9TFI, JD1/7J1AYK, RTTY op at BQ9P, ZB2/W5FI, etc. etc.)

I have always used WF1B’s fine RTTY contest software in DXpedition mode.
It is fantastic stuff…. The software recognized the call from the print
screen, loaded it into the log with a single keystroke, sent the report,
if the report that I received was the standard 599, I just entered the
entire QSO into the log and the software sent the QRZ and off we went
again. Great stuff! However, to the best of my knowledge, it is only
still available in DOS version and if I go DXpeditioning again, I would
like a Windows operating system based program. However, I pretty much
want the same capabilities as the WF1B software or maybe more.

I am looking for advice on the software that I should consider. I do not
do sound-card RTTY… I use a HAL DXP-38 FSK box as I think that its
performance is far superior to soundcard programs that I have used, so
the software needs to fully control the DXP-38.

What is state of the art as of 2006 for my application? Please respond
either back channel or to the list.

I think Writelog is the best contest program for RTTY, especially if you are going to use it on a DXpedition where you expect pileups. Writelog is the only program that will look at a string of characters like: FDR8EK7WM6CVDF and highlight K7WM as a valid callsign. This function is accomplished by looking at AA5AU's database of RTTY Contesters: http://www.rttycontesting.com/downloads/downloads.htm This feature is invaluable in a pileup situation. Callsigns not in the database can be entered into the log by clicking on the first letter of the call.

Writelog will also do the functions you mentioned above. Current consensus seems to be that sound card demodulation using the program MMTTY is at least as good as hardware modems. Writelog fully supports the DXP-38, as well as MMTTY.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ