CQ-Contest

No subject

Subject: No subject
From: veillet@ocar01.obs-azur.fr (veillet@ocar01.obs-azur.fr)
Date: Thu Jul 11 14:50:17 1996
I'll move to the Big Island (Hawaii) in mid-september for six years. Are there
contesters between Hilo and Kona ? I would be happy to meet one or two for
starting some contest activities while overthere ...
Answer directly please !
thanks in advance
Christian - F5IDM

From: gswanson@arrl.org (Swanson, Glenn,  KB1GW) (Swanson, Glenn,  KB1GW)
Subject: How to: IARU scores to ARRL

     Hello Rod,

     Thank you for the e-mail.  yes, you can upload (via the FTP
     process) log files to the ARRL--per the info you found at the
     ARRL Web page. There are now * 5 * ways to send your log
     to the ARRL--apparently the FAQ I posted needs to be updated
     to include:

     "You can submit entries for all ARRL contests five (5) ways:
       Within 30 days after a given contest, send your entry via...
               <snip>
     FTP: FTP an ASCII summary sheet and ASCII log file (in the
     ARRL Suggested File Format) using anonymous FTP to
     ftp://ftp.arrl.org/logs/. (If you use a non-Web-browser FTP client,
     FTP to ftp.arrl.org and change directory to /logs, as in the command
     cd /logs.) Then upload your   file. ZIP the summary sheet file and the
     log file together using PKZIP.EXE or its equivalent, and upload your
     compressed file or upload the files separately."
                    - - - -
     I'd posted the file "entry.inf," which came from the ARRL info
     server (info@arrl.org). I'll let the folks in the contest area know
     that it (apparently) needs to be updated.

               73, Glenn, KB1GW
               < kb1gw@arrl.org >
                             - - - -
     P.S. For those who are Web-challenged, [  ;-)  ]here's the full text
      from the ARRL Web page:

     "You can submit entries for all ARRL contests five (5) ways:

Within 30 days after a given contest, send your entry via...

E-mail: Send an ASCII summary sheet and ASCII log file (following the ARRL
Suggested File Format) to contest@arrl.org. Merge the summary sheet and
log file together into one file with an ASCII text editor and send it on the

Internet as a text message.

FTP: FTP an ASCII summary sheet and ASCII log file (in the ARRL Suggested
File Format) using anonymous FTP to ftp://ftp.arrl.org/logs/. (If you use a
non-Web-browser FTP client, FTP to ftp.arrl.org and change directory to
/logs,
as in the command cd /logs.) Then upload your file. ZIP the summary sheet
file
and the log file together using PKZIP.EXE or its equivalent, and upload your
compressed file or upload the files separately.

ARRL Telephone BBS: Submit an ASCII summary sheet and ASCII log file
(in the ARRL Suggested File Format). The BBS ([860] 594-0306) handles
connections at speeds up to 28.8 kilobaud. ZIP the summary sheet file and
the log file together with PKZIP.EXE or its equivalent, and upload your
compressed file to the ARRL BBS or upload the files separately.

Disk: Submit a paper summary sheet and ASCII log file (in the ARRL
Suggested File Format) on a 3.5- or 5.25-inch diskette (high or low
density).
Copy your <call sign>.LOG file to a floppy diskette and mail it, along with
your printed summary sheet file, to ARRL HQ.

Paper: Submit a summary sheet, logs, and dupe sheets using official
ARRL forms or reasonable facsimiles. Mail your entry to:

                             ARRL Contest Branch
                                225 Main Street
                             Newington, CT 06111

  -- eof --
 ----------

From: floydjr@Interpath.com (Jimmy R. Floyd) (Jimmy R. Floyd)
Subject: IARU 96 Score II

IARU 1996 RAW SCORES

Compiled by
>>WA4ZXA<<  (floydjr@interpath.com)

Date Posted: 07/16/96

CALL             PWR       SCORE      QSO's      PTS     ZONES     HQ

SINGLE OPERATOR - PHONE

TM1C  (F5MZN)    HP       853,649     1579                88       43
DL1FY            HP       103,008      367      1073           96

WB5VZL           HP       625,416     1604      4738     101       31
VE6JY            HP       619,780     1403      4660      98       35
K4VUD            HP       376,124     1332                77       24
WB1GQR  (WB2JSJ) HP       350,208     1334      3072      77       37
W7LZP            HP       116,795      507      1645      57       14
K3IXD            HP        84,854      456                52       25

WA4ZXA           LP       181,480      759      1745      66       38
VA3WTO           LP       129,350      783      2587      39       11
KB1GW            LP        78,975      435       975      47       34
KS4XG            LP        77,841      343       961      50       31
NZ3I             LP        31,610      211       545           58
KF9YH            LP        16,606      193       437      25       13

SINGLE OPERATOR - CW

PA0RCT           LP       265,356      698      2106      56       70

K4PQL            HP       877,600     1614      5485     102       58
K1VUT            HP       645,120     1390      4480      81       63
N4BP             HP       357,312     1406      3722           96
N6KI             HP       293,328     1018      3024      77       20
N0DH/7           HP       287,823      837      2593      90       21
W1IHN            HP       277,112     1004      2948      61       33
WV5S             HP       208,505      717                61       24
W7ZRC            HP       202,440      884      2892      55       15
K3JT             HP       152,457      607      1713      61       28
W2UP             HP       129,808      476                45       31
KM0L             HP        85,302      470      1354           63
AA8SM                      51,362      356       842      42       19

AA8AV            LP       407,445     1213                    115
K1EPJ            LP       108,697      525      1489      46       27
WB0OLA           LP        60,966      365      1129      39       15
WA7UVJ           LP        39,100      402       850      38        8
KB0IHM           LP        36,518      446      1178      25        6
W3CPB            LP        28,000      208       508      32       24
VK1FF            LP        13,892      130       604      17        6

SINGLE OPERATOR - MIXED

SM5IMO                    783,364     1553      5293      84       64
PA0COE                     74,880      320       960           78

W9RE             HP     1,027,952     2082      6268     110       54
K8AZ  (K8NZ)            1,003,392     2030      6432     108       48
WZ4F                      594,270     1622      4402      98       37
W6XR/2                    531,320     1590                71       41
K0DI                      207,759     1025      3011      60        9
NS0B             HP       159,422      656      2018      57       22
WB5B             HP       152,412      626      1954      60       18
KG5U                       88,576      454      1384      46       18
N3BDA                      82,810      318       910      56       35
NI8L             HP        23,560      294       760      21       10

AA4GA            LP       252,450      909      2475      71       31
K3CR  (KB3AFT)   LP       143,980      697                60       32
N3BDA            LP        82,810      318       910      56       35
WA8YRS           LP        76,711      609      1871           41

KG5U            QRP        88,576      454      1384      46       18

MULITOPERATOR

NC0P                      685,446     1575                    138
KJ6HO            HP       376,225     1291      3725      87       14
K6XO/7                    359,450     1445                74       17
KX8D                      201,465      893      2035      69       30
VE7CFD           LP       191,828      915      2821      60        8
AC5CT                      56,180      359      1060      41       12
KEWW                       45,270      189                30       15

OPREATOR LIST MULIT

NC0P     NC0P,WA0ETC,WD0GVY,WA0FLS,WR0G
K6XO/7   N5CT,KG7TE,KI7WX,AB7GM,K6XO
KX8D     N9DHN,N9WHG
VE7CFD   VE7CFD,VE7CQK

REMEMBER THESE ARE NOT OFFICIAL AND DO NOT SEND ME ANY LOGS OR ATTACHED
FILES!!

If you send me a score with only single op on it and no phone, cw, or
mixed on it, I will put you in the mixed section. Send me a correction
and I will move you.

I assumed from reading the Rules that there is no High and Low Power
Classes. Most people are sending in whether they used HP or LP. Since
they are taking the time to do this I will break them down for them.

Where you see a number between the zones and Hq columns means that the
person added them together.

73's Jim

           * Jimmy R. Floyd  (Jim)   Thomasville, NC                *
           *                                                        *
           * Amateur Call:              >> WA4ZXA <<                *
           * Packet Node:               >> N4ZC <<                  *
           * Internet Address:          >> floydjr@interpath.com << *

From: ken_wolff@mail.cerulean.com (Ken Wolff) (Ken Wolff)
Subject: WRTC signals

     I got on near the end of the contest on 20 and 40. Signals on 20 were
     all the same and weak (20 meter beam was stuck pointing east). Signals
     on 40 were all the same. The 40 meter beam was pointed out west, so
     they were easy to hear.

     Lot's of fun. Wish I had been on the whole time.

     - Ken

From: paul1@wizard.ucs.sfu.ca (Paul Erickson) (Paul Erickson)
Subject: Headphone suggestions needed

First of all thanks to everyone who worked Dave and I at VE7CFD during
the IARU/WRTC. Dave handled the SSB and I did the cw. One of the many
things that I learned during the contest was that I need a better pair
of headphones. I should have known better as I have discovered the
importance of the human interface in other areas, such as keyboards
(thanks for the previous thread on the programmable keyboard it is
great) and paddles (the WBL v2p's are WONDERFUL), neither of which
I am using to their full potential.

I know the Azden and Heil Pro Headset's have been recommended, and
will probably get one for SSB, but I need a Stereo set strictly for
CW purposes. They need to be stereo as I run two rigs and to be
used in a multi single situation with a switch box which allows two
operators to listen to one rig or the other or both.

Thanks for the time.

cheers, Paul
ve7cqk
email: paul1@wizard.ucs.sfu.ca

From: steven@zianet.com (Steve Nace) (Steve Nace)
Subject: vy1rac, double mult?

AB6YL wrote about VY1JA:

>he reports that he tried to search and pounce
>all of the 1x1 calls to make sure they got his
>double mult.

I gets confused. What double mult is this? Here are the rules I read...

"Multipliers: Total number of ITU zones plus IARU member-society HQ
stations worked on each frequency band.
(Note: HQ stations do not count for zone multipliers.)"

I sure would like to get my mult total up. Please explain.

de Hose  KN5H

                              \\\|///
                              ( O O )
 _______________________________( )___oOO____________________________
| Steven K. Nace     KN5H           Phone: 505-525-6205              |
| AlliedSignal Technical Svcs       E-Mail: Snace@tdrss.wsc.nasa.gov |
| Spacecraft Engineering Group      Alt E-mail:steven@zianet.com     |
| White Sands Complex               Fax: 505-525-6229                |
| Las Cruces, NM 88004              Alt Fax: 505-527-7223            |
+_________________________Ooo________________________________________+
                              |__| |__|
                               ||   ||
                               ||   ||
                              (__) (__)

From: G.DAUGHT@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU (George Daughters) (George Daughters)
Subject: mea culpa

ok,

VY1RAC was in Yukon territory, and was the
canadian HQ station

as i understand it, if you work some
station in a region, you get the mult for
that region.  if you get a HQ station in the
same region, you get the HQ mult.  i didn't
mean to infer that VY1RAC or any other HQ
station gives an *increased-value mult* which
my posting implied to some.  i apologize for
the ambiguity!  (in retrospect, i guess i
should have said, simply, "mult")

i just wanted to post a message from Jay,
and not somehow get involved in rules
interpretations... i'm neither a source of,
nor arbiter of the rules.

please put away the flame throwers.

i apologize if i misled anyone.

73, ab6yl

To:  CQ-CONTEST@TGV.COM

From: 0005543629@mcimail.com (David & Barbara Leeson) (David & Barbara Leeson)
Subject: QTH, Ants, Rigs

Here's a preliminary listing of the WRTC 96 top six, with station
locations, antennas and rigs:

Call Op#1  Op#2  Judge Host   QTH          Ant      40m Rig A    Rig B

W6X  KR0Y  K1TO  UA6HZ WA6AHF San Lorenzo  TH6@50'   Dp IC765    TS930
K6T  K4BAI KM9P  W6UM  NQ6X   San Jose     TH7@45'   Dp FT1000MP IC736
W6R  K6LL  N2IC  WR3G  AF6S   San Jose     C4@50'    Dp TS950SDX TS850
K6P  VE3EJ VE3IY OH2KI N6UUG  Suisun City  KT34XA@50'Dp FT1000   IC765
K6C  K4UEE N6IG  BA1FP WB6PCJ Redwood City A4@50'    Dp FT1000D  FT1000D
W6T  K5ZD  WX3N  K6SSS AB6CW  Cupertino    A3@40'    Dp IC765    JST-245

Suisun City is near Fairfield, north of Vallejo
San Lorenzo is between San Jose and Oakland in the East Bay
Redwood City is between San Jose and San Francisco
Cupertino is near San Jose

I haven't been able to reach NQ6X to confirm the antenna there.  The
data base shows an LP, but the station inspector clearly remembers it
as either a TH6 or TH7.  I believe the K6P Rig A was an FT1000D, but
the records show it only as FT1000.

I note the posting by K1EA to the effect that all the 20 and 40 meter
signals were the same.  I consider Ken to be a knowlegable observer, and
I believe the goal of a level playing field was met.

Here's a different listing that may also be of interest:

1  Hy-Gain     Icom     Kenwood
2  Hy-Gain     Yaesu    Icom
3  Force12     Kenwood  Kenwood
4  KLM         Yaesu    Icom
5  Cushcraft   Yaesu    Yaesu
6  Cushcraft   Icom     JRC

The 40m dipoles of at least the first three finishers were the wire inverted
vees made by WRTC 96 for the station hosts.

Hearty congratulations to the top finishers, but also to all the champions
that made up the 52 competing teams and the 2 demonstration teams.

Thanks also to sponsors Icom, Yaesu, HRO, Shell Oil, CQ, ARRL and WJET-TV,
and to corporate donors Cushcraft, Give Pizza Chance, US Tower, Hy-Gain,
I.C.E., Alinco, Cisco-TGV, AEA, ETO, Tied House Brewery, Western Digital,
Kenwood and Berliner Cohen.  Last but not least, many thanks to the more
than 50 individuals who made sponsoring donations to WRTC 96.

73 de Dave, W6QHS
WRTC 96, Inc.

From: tree@lady.cetech.com (Larry Tyree) (Larry Tyree)
Subject: K6O in WRTC

First off, my apolgies to KA9FOX for giving him a hard time about being
in zone 7.  I was going by some older contest announcements that never
mentioned any exceptions to the ninth call area being in zone 8.

Trey and I were given the call K6O.  Our station host was Mike, KW6C
and our judge was Pat Bacon, WA7NIN.  It was nice to do a contest
with Pat and catch up after not seeing him for 10 years or so.

We decided K6O was just about the must "fun" callsign possible.  Trey
would sign K6 Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and I would call people with K6 and
then say "over" after a brief pause.  Reminded me of K6OVJ who always
wanted the call K6.

Our station was rated "class B" and I think we were one of the people
with the weaker signals.  This made chasing mults difficult and we
decided to work on QSO points.  We thought we had done better than we
did, but that was something that caught all of us by surprise.  It
just isn't normal to have this level of competition - except maybe
in the SS.

Our antennas consisted of a A3s at about 35 feet and a 40 meter
inverted vee at about 28 feet.  We used my TS-850S and K2MM's TS-440.

Congrats to VE7CC and VE7NTT/WA6VEF on their 0.4 percent unique rate.
That means they only had 6 or 7 unique calls in their log - awesome.

Our sympathy to the OH team who lost the last 6 hours of the contest
due to a hard disk failure.  They were using TR, but I don't think
my software was the cause.  However, I am going to add some run time
tests to prevent this type of failure from ruining someone's weekend
again.  The log file wasn't written to after 00:20 Z.  The time and
date stamp matched the last log entry.  CHKDSK/F found a few log
segments floating around ont he disk.  It appears to be a FAR
failure of some kind.  Never seen anything like it.  I think the
addition of a test to monitor the time/date stamp of the file and
check the filesize against the number of QSOs would prevent this
from happening again.  Also, an automated routine to check all disk
sectors for log fragments would really improve the chances of
recovering from a failure like this.

If anyone has had similar experiences and can help shed some light
on the subject, please contact me.

Oh, and congrats to the winners...  Jeff and Dan.  They won gracefully
with a KB effort.  Maybe Jeff will retire now (rumor has it he won't
be in the September CW Sprint due to a wedding he needs to attend).
Dan is moving to Florida - a clear sign that he is retiring.

It was great seeing all these top ops in one place.  I hope to be a
part of the next one (maybe in four years).

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com

PS: Okay - one funny story.  I was walking with antenna guru ON4UN and I
noticed a funny antenna sticking our of a third floor room (belonging
to one of the JA teams).  It was a horizontal element with a wire hanging
off the end of it.  The pole and wire were about ten feet long.  I asked
John what kind of antenna it was,  expecting some kind of technical answer.

John looked at it for a moment and then said: "That is a fishing pole."

A bonus funny story - K1AR was standing in line for some food and had
RV1 somebody standing next to him.  He pointed to him and anounced: "This
is a European".  Being from the west coast, we don't get exposed to
them very often and I appreciated John's efforts.  At first, I just
thought it was a funny prefix for Canada or something.

From: jfunk@adams.net (jim funk) (jim funk)
Subject: WRTC excuses

Hi All!
        Top Ten Reasons I Found Only 48 WRTC Teams:

        10.  Operation FD-style from campsite
         9.  Operation begun at 0200Z
         8.  Barefoot
         7.  One tree-supported dipole antenna
         6.  First hour competing with PA system blaring out encouragement
for "Family Olympics"
         5.  Second hour competing with watermelon-eating contest and
ping-pong/basketball games in same pavilion
         4.  Too much time chasing ZD8Z and explaining to onlookers where
Ascension Island is
         3.  Sharing rig with three other family members
         2.  Bazillion hungry mosquitos
         1.  Don't play all that much with cards anyhow....

         Fantastic event, guys!  Congratulations to all the WRTC teams and
to the organizers.
                                                        73, Jim N9JF
Jim Funk - Amateur Radio N9JF
Where the 160 antennas have Jersey "Cownterpoises"
"Cowpies happen.  What you do with them determines whether you have a
renewable resource or an environmental hazard." -- Cownfucious

From: bill@akorn.net (Bill Fisher) (Bill Fisher)
Subject: [wrtc-teams 0255] QTH, Ants, Rigs

Any chance that the band by band breakdowns will be published?

Thanks

Bill - Trying to dig out from a major pile of paper and email.  See you
in a couple of weeks when I come up for air.

Bill Fisher, President  | bill@akorn.net        | Atlanta Internet Access |
Akorn Access, Inc.      | http://www.akorn.net  | and WWW Services.       |
770-569-1550            |                       |                         |

From: TREY@TGV.COM (Trey Garlough) (Trey Garlough)
Subject: W1AW 10-10 number?

> Help!  As the guy in the 10 meter seat tomorrow at W1AW/3 (from W3LPL) I
> know I'll be asked several times for a 10-10 number.

I suggest you tell people your 10-10 number is "5908".

--Trey, WN4KKN

From: ni6t@scruznet.com (Garry Shapiro) (Garry Shapiro)
Subject: I'm  NOT bummed

Dan Robbins wrote:
>(snip)
> Now after the contest I find that AH3C and
> AH3D were also competitors.  My apologies to AH3D whom I passed by many
> times, but never called after hearing the Zone 6.  So I did get all the 52
> 1x1 calls, but I guess I didn't get a sweep.  Using DX calls for this was a
> poor decision on someone's part.

Not really. The Chinese and Latvian teams were "demonstration"
stations--not official competitors. So the assignment of different
callsigns was appropriate. To encourage stations to work them on an equal
footing, they were designated as "wildcards," and those seeking WRTC
commemorative awards can utilize QSO's with AH3C (Pete Grillo's callsign)
and/or AH3D (Martti Laine's callsign) in lieu of missed 1x1 callsigns.

This information was widely disseminated beforehand, and I respectfully
submit that there be no blame attached because you were unaware of it.

The sigs from the WRTC guys on 40 were
> hardly equal here, it was not uncommon to find an S7 1x1 next to an S0 1x1.
> It was also obvious some locations heard much better than others.  Local
> QRN?  Don't think the WRTC proved anything operator-wise, but it was kind of
> fun for a change.
>
>                                 Dan KL7Y

Maybe yes, maybe no. I was not a member of the Committee, but, as an
NCCCer and a "local" who is familiar with quite a few of the host
locations--and who went after QSO's on all bands and modes for almost
the entire timespan-- I would offer the following:

* unless all the contestants are on a truly uniform "platform"--one
linear strip of beach on a Carib island is one of the suggestions for
"next time"--a truly level playing field is probably impossible. Life is
a beach?

* The Bay Area is not a strip of beach; the tribanders at the host
stations ranged from A3S's to KT34XA's. Some stations were in the middle
of the Santa Clara Valley with several miles to the hills in each
direction. Others were closer to the hills; some were arguably too
close--but try finding 54+ stations of similar attributes sometime,
anywhere. I helped out a little with finding stations--it's challenging.

* Some of those that were "too close" had the hill to the east--not an
advantage. There was a range of tower heights. Some locations had nearby
obstacles of some sort. Some locations were quieter than others. At least
one station was on the coast, and therefore isolated from most possible
groundwave contacts with the large number of locals QRV for the contest.

* Dipoles are indeed directional, and not all were in the same direction.

* Some of the antennas had better SWR's than others. Some competitors
could deal with this better than others---e.g. internal ATU's.

* It is difficult to assess whether the stations that were weak in KL7
were the same ones weak elsewhere. Probably, some were and some were not.
As in most contests, KL7 is not the primary target direction, as you
know.

Having said all that, the fact remains that all the competitors were
more-or-less in the open, used tribanders at similar heights, and the
same power output. All of us, whether at home, guest-opping, or on a
Contest Expedition or DXpedition, have to deal with unexpected
developments--always a big part of the game. Bottom line: many of the
team scores were tightly bunched--a good indication, IMHO, that the
playing field was indeed level for many--if not most-- of the
competitors.

K1TO and KR0Y did have a slightly "better" location than many. But their
score was so outstanding--I think it was about 100K points better than
the second-place finisher--that their's can only be construed as an
unambiguous, convincing and resounding victory, for which they deserve
accolades.

Anyway, I hope you had fun. I thought the whole event was outstanding,
from the socializing and partying to the competition and from the
competition to the socializing and partying, was one of high points of my
ham life. Wish you could have been here to savor the moment.

73,
Garry, NI6T
--
"Alternating currents are dangerous. They are fit only for
                                powering the electric chair."

Editor, "The DXer"
        --monthly bulletin of the Northern California DX Club

From: DKMC@chevron.com (McCarty, DK 'Dav) (McCarty, DK 'Dav)

From: McCarty, DK 'David' -DKMC
To:  OPEN ADDRESSING SERVI-OPENADDR
Cc:  00055436
Subject:  RE: QTH, Ants, Rigs

Dave,

One thing you didn't mention is that the geography may have been different.
 Another is the age/size/length of the coax, which may have made a large
diffo.  Did the signals get compared ahead of time to catch glitches?

Really there are a myriad of things that make signals different from QTH to
QTH and from setup to setup to a given point over a period of time.  I doubt
any station had a major competitive advantage over the others over the 18 hr
period.  I would rather expect that one or more could have a competitive
disadvantage, however, if something was broken or seriously wrong with the
setup.

Personally, I worked a lot of them and found that some were puny while
others were loud, but not always the same over time.  I thought nearly all
were *loud* or at least *real* signals.  (There's something about a snappy
fist that seems to add a few dB).  The bigger differences were on 10 and 15
where propagation was strangely up and down and spotty.  If all I had wanted
to do was work them I would have more observations, but I was operating CW
only in the original contest, IARU HF.  The presence of all these 6's to S&P
sure made it fun to turn the beam out west!!!

I was amazed at how they all found the opening on 10!  Maybe it was open for
them before it opened to TX, but when I found the first one I found twenty
of them.

My pencilled-in scratch pad says I worked all but W6U on at least one band,
and got most of them at least twice.  Not sure how I missed them, I'll have
to check my log.  Many I got on all 4 bands.  Only a few called me--at the
most five of them.  They didn't all have pileups when I worked them.  A lot
were just calling CQ.  Some had piles 5 or 6 deep with another up 1 kc going
begging.  You could tell that AH3C and D were not as well publicized nor as
obvious to the casual entrant.  Heck, even if I had no idea what was going
on I'd have tried pretty hard to get a matched set of K6A-Z and W6A-Z QSL
cards!  When was the last time you worked W6A?

73
Dave K5GN
dkmc@chevron.com
 ----------

From: n0dh@comtch.iea.com (Nawvemburr Zeeero Dawg House) (Nawvemburr Zeeero
Dawg House)

Paul Erickson wrote:

> I know the Azden and Heil Pro Headset's have been recommended, and
> will probably get one for SSB, but I need a Stereo set strictly for
> CW purposes. They need to be stereo as I run two rigs and to be
> used in a multi single situation with a switch box which allows two
> operators to listen to one rig or the other or both.

Paul

The head phone strategy I have used for the last two years is as follows. My
main head set is a
Heil Pro set. However I also have a light weight pair of Sony stereo
headphones. Every 2 hours or
so I switch back and forth It helps reduce fatigue. On the negative side the
Heils while
comfortable can get hot because of their full ear coverage. The light weight
Sony on the
other  hand lets in more "outside noise.". Both are streo and of course the
Sony doesnt have a
boom mike for SSB operation (Ask NT5C what SSB operation is ...I only contest
in CW !).

Dave
N0DH

From: ah3c@burgoyne.com (PETER GRILLO) (PETER GRILLO)
Subject: I'm bummed

At 11:09 AM 7/14/96 -0800, you wrote:
>What with some antennas not operational plus other commitments, a major
>effort for IARU was not possible.  So I played around in the contest with
>the time available.  Great South America opening on 80 and 40 for KL7 land!
>At one point I had 51 of the 52 1x1 stations in the log so I decided I
>should go find K6S.  After a couple of hours I found him on 40, don't know
>why I never heard them on 20.  Now after the contest I find that AH3C and
>AH3D were also competitors.  My apologies to AH3D whom I passed by many
>times, but never called after hearing the Zone 6.  So I did get all the 52
>1x1 calls, but I guess I didn't get a sweep.  Using DX calls for this was a
>poor decision on someone's part.  The sigs from the WRTC guys on 40 were
>hardly equal here, it was not uncommon to find an S7 1x1 next to an S0 1x1.
>It was also obvious some locations heard much better than others.  Local
>QRN?  Don't think the WRTC proved anything operator-wise, but it was kind of
>fun for a change.
>
>                                Dan KL7Y

Hi Dan -

Your comments are very interesting for many reasons:

1.  Both the AH3C and AH3D call signs were pre-arranged, but Dayton was the
commitment date.  That allowed only 6 weeks to include the calls in the
publicity.  Some people may not have gotten the word.  The calls were issued
after the maximum 52 competing teams were selected for the available special
1X1 call signs.  Based on the performance comments so far received on the
Contest Reflector, this was a good decision by the committee.  As owner of
the AH3C callsign, I officially authorized its use by one of the alternate
teams.  I remained at home listening throughout the contest with my trusty
inverted vees at 30 feet.  I was planning to attend the affair in SF, but at
the last minute had to drop out for personal reasons....talk about being bummed!

2.  AH3D is the US callsign of Martti Laine (OH2BH).  Martti was in SF and I
am certain you will read about his involvement in the follow up reports we
all anticipate from the committee.

3.  This undertaking was perhaps the most expensive event that amateur radio
has ever experienced.  Consider the fact that for each station, a team of
not less than 5 amateurs was required to activate a single call sign (two
operators, one Judge, one Referee, one station owner).  That's 270 people in
the field.  Then you had all the organizers and volunteer help that I'm sure
we will learn about, I can only guess probably over 100 people.  And, this
does not count any of the sponsors.  What is interesting about all of this
is the fact that only 54 radios were activated! Consider all the contesters
that were NOT on the air because of their direct involvement with WRTC.
Still, the scores were phenomenal.  2500 QSO's in 18 hours is paramount to
the pace during CQWW for a strategically located winning DX station.

4.  To equalize the signals must have been an awsome task.  We all need to
know how this was done.  Sure, we expect station guidelines to be equal.
But, how detailed was the antenna research done?  Was coax efficiency
included in the analysis?  If faulty coax was identified, was there
sufficient time allowed for repairs to the coax?  How about age of hardware
on the tower?  How about wire configurations?  What about terrain studies?

5.  The there is team selection.  How were these teams identified and selected?

There are dozens of other questions we are all anxious to see answered.
Bottom line is...there are not enough expletives to summarize this event.
The future of contesting is alive and well!!!!

73,
Pete Grillo
Salt Lake City, Utah
ah3c@burgoyne.com

p.s.  Special note to WRTC:  Shouldn't we also get the score, judge, and
station summary from AH3C and AH3D...not listed in the final tally?

From: seay@alaska.net (Del Seay) (Del Seay)

PETER GRILLO wrote:

> Hi Dan -
>
> Your comments are very interesting for many reasons:
>
> 1.  Both the AH3C and AH3D call signs were pre-arranged, but Dayton was the
> commitment date.  That allowed only 6 weeks to include the calls in the
> publicity.  Some people may not have gotten the word.  The calls were issued
> after the maximum 52 competing teams were selected for the available special
> 1X1 call signs.  Based on the performance comments so far received on the
> Contest Reflector, this was a good decision by the committee.  As owner of
> the AH3C callsign, I officially authorized its use by one of the alternate
> teams.  I remained at home listening throughout the contest with my trusty
> inverted vees at 30 feet.  I was planning to attend the affair in SF, but at
> the last minute had to drop out for personal reasons....talk about being
> bummed!
>
> 2.  AH3D is the US callsign of Martti Laine (OH2BH).  Martti was in SF and I
> am certain you will read about his involvement in the follow up reports we
> all anticipate from the committee.
>
> 3.  This undertaking was perhaps the most expensive event that amateur radio
> has ever experienced.  Consider the fact that for each station, a team of
> not less than 5 amateurs was required to activate a single call sign (two
> operators, one Judge, one Referee, one station owner).  That's 270 people in
> the field.  Then you had all the organizers and volunteer help that I'm sure
> we will learn about, I can only guess probably over 100 people.  And, this
> does not count any of the sponsors.  What is interesting about all of this
> is the fact that only 54 radios were activated! Consider all the contesters
> that were NOT on the air because of their direct involvement with WRTC.
> Still, the scores were phenomenal.  2500 QSO's in 18 hours is paramount to
> the pace during CQWW for a strategically located winning DX station.
>
> 4.  To equalize the signals must have been an awsome task.  We all need to
> know how this was done.  Sure, we expect station guidelines to be equal.
> But, how detailed was the antenna research done?  Was coax efficiency
> included in the analysis?  If faulty coax was identified, was there
> sufficient time allowed for repairs to the coax?  How about age of hardware
> on the tower?  How about wire configurations?  What about terrain studies?
>
> 5.  The there is team selection.  How were these teams identified and
> selected?
>
> There are dozens of other questions we are all anxious to see answered.
> Bottom line is...there are not enough expletives to summarize this event.
> The future of contesting is alive and well!!!!
>
> 73,
> Pete Grillo
> Salt Lake City, Utah
> ah3c@burgoyne.com
>
> p.s.  Special note to WRTC:  Shouldn't we also get the score, judge, and
> station summary from AH3C and AH3D...not listed in the final tally?

I have to agree with Dan. I think the consequences may not have been
well thought out.
In the first place, the legitimate calls would have been AH3C/W6
and AH3D/W6 which would have been a horrible diadvantage for the ops.
As it was, many of us heard the 06 zone and just automatically passed
them up!
But I'll bet they had fun none the less!  de KL7HF

From: dleclair@efn.org (Cleve D Leclair) (Cleve D Leclair)

Hi Dave and All, I was going through radio shack yesterday and noticed
they have a "head set" similair to heil pro, but fer 59.95 ... big
S O F T ear muffs and yes it had a boom mic attached...I wasn't they
were busy, so I didn't inquire...

Cleve - N7IXG

From: palooka@pyrotechnics.com (Joe Pontek, K8JP) (Joe Pontek, K8JP)

Hi Paul,
>I know the Azden and Heil Pro Headset's have been recommended, and
>will probably get one for SSB, but I need a Stereo set strictly for
>CW purposes. They need to be stereo as I run two rigs and to be
>used in a multi single situation with a switch box which allows two
>operators to listen to one rig or the other or both.
>
>Thanks for the time.
My Heil Pro Headset is Stereo, as is my Heil lightweights.

73, K8Joe"Palooka"

K8JP, K8JP/VA2, VP5/K8JP, VP5JP, ex-K8HKM, ex-KN8HKM
palooka@pyrotechnics.com

snail mail:
Joe Pontek, K8JP
P. O. Box 59573
Schaumburg, IL 60159-0573
(847) 885-8871 (home)
(847) 519-7420 (work)
(847) 619-3250 (FAX)
U.S.A.

From: tree@lady.cetech.com (Larry Tyree) (Larry Tyree)
Subject: WRTC

I am giving a talk on WRTC at the NorthWestern DX convention this weekend.

If anyone has some interesting stories to contribute, I would love
to have them for my talk.

Thanks!

Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com