CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Driving at 4AM

To: <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Driving at 4AM
From: "Mark Beckwith" <n5ot@n5ot.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:14:31 -0600
> I was once told by a policeman that the way to be alerted to the
> possibility of a drunk driver was if someone was driving well over the
> speed limit, well under the speed limit, or at the speed limit since
> no one drives at the speed limit any more! ;^) There is a moral in
> there somewhere........

Here in my town, since I am frequently driving between 3 and 5am because I
go up to my radio station every morning to work DX, I frequently get pulled
over.  The police in my town say they pull over everyone they can who is out
driving at 3-5am just because the likelihood they are drunk is so much
greater, and they look for "opportunities to check."  41 in a 40 with nobody
around = complimentary breath analysis.

They also pull over everyone they see leaving a bar at closing home if they
forget to use their blinker when changing lanes.

I think there's a moral in there somewhere too: The timing of an action can
draw suspicion and net efficient enforcement results.  It's still not
against the rules to drive at 4am.

Mark, N5OT