CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Small rig - Summary

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Small rig - Summary
From: k4xu@bendcable.com (Dick Frey)
Date: Thu Aug 15 23:38:03 2002
The purpose of my question was to determine which small 100W rig was best to
take on a DXpedition where all rigs would be fairly close together but all
limited to 100W.

My thanks to all 25 who responded.

The hands down winner was the K2-100. 13 votes and it was not even on the
list. Clearly it is the best in a large signal environment and is a super
rig on CW.
The FT100 and IC706 each got some votes but also as many poor marks for
signal handling and for broadband noise and/or spurious trash on TX.
The best of the three rigs listed in my original inquiry was the TS50,
especially since they can be had on the used market for as little as $350,
and got positive comments in the recent VP8 write-ups.
Single votes were cast for the JST245, IC740, and IC736.

Now all we need is some of those small 20+A switchmode supplies, and we're
ready to fly. Anyone want to offer opinions of these?   Alinco, Astron,
MFJ...?

Dick Frey    k4xu