CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012

To: "'David Gilbert'" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KP2MM Disqualified in ARRL CW 2012
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2012 20:26:06 -0400
> What if I start a contest operating high power and then decide after two
> hours that propagation is so good that I want to switch to low power?  I
> can't just delete the early high power contacts from my log because that
> would give a bunch of other participants a NIL and probably get my entry
> flagged as unstable, so should I expect the sponsor to delete them for
> me just so I can jump categories?

I'm not sure, but I believe you can flag the earlier contacts as unclaimed.
Unfortunately, Cabrillo doesn't have a built-in way to do this. In fact, my
logger deletes unclaimed QSOs from the log.

We ran into this problem when a bug in the logger caused a handful of
unintended time violations in our 8P8P 2002 CQ WW SSB M/S log (North
American Winner). We didn't want to delete those QSOs, causing NILs in other
logs, but we didn't want to claim them, either. I asked K3EST what to do,
and he replied that this kind of problem is not uncommon, and that we could
flag the bad QSOs as unclaimed by inserting a section in the Cabrillo log
containing lines explaining what happened with each unclaimed QSO. Each line
was prefixed with: X-CORRECTION.

I imagine each contest sponsor has different rules about this, so it's best
to contact them for instructions.

73, Dick WC1M